Chris Hopkins wrote as follows.

quote

I am a new list member interested in implementing archaic, classical and
Hellenistic Greek glyphs in a Unicode font. My initial questions will be
focused on handling multiple alternate glyphs for each character, and how to
organize a font with several thousand Hellenistic monograms.

Is this the appropriate discussion list? If not, I'd appreciate a pointer.

end quote

This looks an interesting discussion and I hope that you will ask your
questions in this forum.

The matter of multiple alternate glyphs for each character seems at first a
font issue, and it is partly a font issue, yet it is also a Unicode issue
once one starts trying to encode a document which is intended to apply those
glyphs in some controlled selection manner.  For example, are you going to
have some texts such as "Author A uses the symbol X for beta whereas author
B uses the symbol Y for beta." where X and Y are just two of the "multiple
alternate glyphs" which you mentioned?

What please is a Hellenistic monogram?  I am wondering whether this is going
to be a good application of the Private Use Area, either on a permanent
basis or on a temporary basis pending making a formal encoding application.
In either case, reading about the Private Use Area in Chapter 13 of the
Unicode specification available from the http://www.unicode.org webspace may
prove interesting.

William Overington