From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I would NOT recommend using a math symbol for this.  Especially
> considering
> > the above.  The CAPITAL O WITH STROKE (Ø) is probably better.
>
> It is not better. If anything might be better, it would be a digit zero
> from a font that has a slash through it. In the past, linguists have
> probably put this into their documents by typing zero, backspacing and
> typing /, or formatting with a slash (if supported in a word processor).
> The O-stroke would be a last resort for a linguist, IMO.

Don't speak about overwriting sequences using Backspace in Unicode! This was used in
the old times of ISO646, but is clearly deprecated in all sources (such sequence was
used for the old version of ISO646-FR, but this standard has been erased from its
AFNOR source, and accordingly from the charset registry more than 20 years ago, which
now only defines the simple modified ASCII set without any backspace sequence, only to
support a few remaining 7bit applications that were not converted to ISO-8859-1 or
ISO-8859-15).

If you want an overriding slash, use now the COMBINING STROKE diacritic defined in
Unicode (look in the U+3XX page, I can't remember the codepoint exactly but this
should be U+0337 for the short one normally used on small letters, or U+0338 for the
long one normally used on capital letters)...

I note that there's another interesting diacritic which looks nearly the same as what
you could use: U+20E0 (A combining  enclosing circle with a reverse stroke) and that
can be used as a spacing character by encoding it after a SPACE (U+0020), but cannot
be confused with an O letter with stroke...