Kent Karlsson wrote on 05/29/2003 07:19:01 AM:

> The empty set symbol is a math symbol, not expected to ever occur
(properly)
> in a word-like context.  Capital O with stroke, however, is a
> letter, and can easily
> and without any problems occur in a word-like context.

Which is exactly why it would be a terrible choice to indicate null in
phonetic transcription (and why linguists would not use that unless they
had absolutely no other choice short of putting 300 instances into a
manuscript by hand).

> IPA and other phonetic writings are AFAIK always lowercase

Utterly wrong. Uppercase vowel symbols (**including Ø**) have been used in
Americanist phonetics to indicate voiceless vocoids; some uppercase
consoant symbols (e.g. L, M, N, R) are used for voiceless counterparts to
normally-voiced contoids. IPA uses several small caps (B, G, H, I, L, N, ?,
R, Y); Uralic phonetics uses several more. Full caps have often been used
as typographic approximations for small caps. Capitals C and V are
regularly used to denote generic consonant and vowel. Pullum & Ladusaw
mention use by some of D, H, P, S.

>; so the
> uppercase form can be used in another meaning in those contexts.

Sorry, no go.

Please abandon any suggestion of using U+00D8 to indicate null categories
in linguistic transcriptions.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485