At 06:39 AM 6/3/2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

"Philippe Verdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 06/03/2003 07:25:46 AM:

> How do you consider the existing "hook" diacritic ?

If you're talking about U+0309 COMBINING HOOK ABOVE, I don't think it
normally attaches. In fact, it's combining class is 230 'above' and not 214
'above attached'.

Philippe may be thinking of the Vietnamese 'horn', U+031B COMBINING HORN, which does attach. My understanding, though, is that this is encoded for backwards compatibility, and was the result of a hack necessary to fit Vietnamese language support into an 8-bit codepage. It is a long time since I have seen any Vietnamese fonts that support the 'horned' vowels by attaching this character as a combining diacritic: they all use the precomposed horn vowels.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                            - Umberto Eco