On Thursday, July 10, 2003 10:24 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Ladys and Gentlemen,
>
> Currently there is an ongoing effort in Bulgaria trying to resolve an
> issuie concerning the way we write in Bulgarian.
>
> Our problem is:
>
> Usually a bulgarian regular user does not need to write accented
> characters. There is one middle-sized exclusion of this, but
> generally we do fine without accented characters. The problem is that
> in some special cases or more serious lingustic work, one definetely
> needs to be able to write accented characters (accented vowels).
>
> One of the ideas is to invent a new ASCII-based encodings, containing
> the accented characters we need. This would introduce an additional
> disorder in the current mess of cyrillic encodings, and would
> introduce problems with automated spellcheck.
>
> Generally I beleive it would be best to invent a Unicode based
> solution.
>
> Such a solution is for example, combining diacritical signs with the
> cyrillic symbols.
>
> I composed a demo page:
> http://v.bulport.com/bugs/opera/426/balhaah_lonex_org/
>
> and then made 10-20 shots of the results on Opera and IE on Linux,
> Windows 98 and Windows XP:
> http://v.bulport.com/bugs/opera/426/balhaah_lonex_org/shots.html
>
> You can see that this approach yields _quite_ incosistent and useless
> results, depending on the font, application and operating system
> being used.

On Windows XP, there's no "incorrect" rendering. However the best rendering comes with
Arial MS Unicode, which is part of Office, bit not part of Windows XP or Internet
Explorer fonts.
The other named fonts are much less common and require an explicit installation by the
user.

The effective font then becomes "sans-serif", normally bound in the user settings to
Arial (by default on Windows): the result is correct, with the right grave accents
used, but the rendering is poor, as they are not handled in Arial by ligating the
combining sequence in a specially prepared and ligated glyph, but simply as a separate
non spacing accent, displayed a bit too high above the ascent line, and not centered
on the previous character.

The reason for it is that Arial, /not Arial MS Unicode/, does not contain placement
hints for each combining class of diacritics in the definition of base characters, but
diacritics are only using an approximate relative positioning in a non-spacing glyph,
with a single relative offset adjusted to work on most Latin letters (the Arial
TrueType font does not include any advanced OpenType tables for positioning of pairs
of glyphs).

However, this text rendered with Arial is still readable and correct according to
Unicode, just poorly rendered.

Note that the effective version of these fonts is important: the Arial font provided
with Windows 95 is TrueType only (there's no OpenType font support in W95, and the
UniScribe engine is only provided as a supplement for Internet Explorer 5+, and is not
used by Netscape 4 and probably other browsers as well)...

On Windows XP, the usage of UniScribe and its support of OpenType fonts is transparent
to most applications (integrated within most GDI primitives, and USER32 GUI
components). So the difference is not much between browsers, but between OS versions
(and localization for older OSes).