Jim Allan scripsit:

> See http://www.adobe.com/type/topics/theampersand.html for a short
> history of the ampersand and some of its variations in modern computer
> fonts.

Unfortunately the explanation of the name "ampersand" given there
is exactly backwards:  it is not "& per se and", but "and per se &".
Anglophones used to recite the alphabet by saying "... x, y, z, and
per se [by itself] &", pronounced of course "and per se and" and later
"ampersand".

> Check common fonts like Trebuchet MS, Berkeley Book, Goudy Sans, Korinna
>  and Univers for recognizable _Et_ ampersands.

I hand-write & by making a tall lower-case epsilon glyph and then drawing
a solidus over it.

--
I am expressing my opinion.  When my            John Cowan
honorable and gallant friend is called,         [EMAIL PROTECTED]