<some background snipped>

Are there scholarly publications (more recent than BDB!) which quote inscriptional Aramaic, Phoenician, Samaritan, paleo-Hebrew etc as well as Hebrew? In such cases, what scripts are used for Aramaic, Phoenician etc? BDB (1906) quoted these and even south Arabian inscriptions in Hebrew script. But what is the modern practice? Are ancient alphabets (other than Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac etc which are in modern use) ever used in such publications? Are these languages ever transcribed in Hebrew script, or only in Latin script transliteration? I am interested in practice in Israeli journals in modern Hebrew as well as in journals in western languages.

Some responses I have received:

From a PhD student in Semitics at a major US university:

As far as I know, they are normally transcribed in Latin or Hebrew
letters. There may be some need for Samaritan as its own script, but
generally speaking the epigraphic scripts are better hand-drawn where
necessary.

From a Jewish professor at a US university:

Today, even Israeli academic (Hebrew-language) journals usually prefer
Latin transcription rather than Hebrew, though publications meant for the
lay public often use Hebrew.

My personal feeling is that using specific scripts for any but the most
commonly-studies languages would be lost on the readership of all but the
most specialized publications.

From a PhD candidate in early Judaism in Canada:

Current scholarly practice is to transcribe such texts with either the
square "Hebrew" script (e.g., Discoveries in the Judean Desert; Syrian
Semitic Inscriptions) or transliteration (e.g., Gogel's Grammar of
Epigraphic Hebrew). As for Israeli scholars, Kutscher's _The Language and
Linguistic Background of the Isaiah Scroll_ even transcribes Syriac and
Ugaritic and some Arabic (as well as Phoenician, Samaritan, Lachish,
Elephantine, Palmyrene, Mandean, Gaonic) into "Hebrew" script, although
El-Amarna words is transcribed into Latin characters, and Arabic words may
be also be in Arabic script or transliteration.

Two things however, may be worthwhile considering for Unicode:

(1) Although it is possible to transcribe inscriptional numerals as Arabic
(i.e. Western) numerals, some (e.g., Gogel) still reproduce their
inscriptional shapes in transcription.

(2) Clarification on how to note uncertain readings in transcription (a
circle or dot above the uncertain letter). I've been using HEBREW MARK
MASORA CIRCLE 05AF and HEBREW MARK UPPER DOT 05C4 for this purpose, but I'm
not sure if this is recommended practice.

I'll let you all know if I get any more relevant feedback.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]