On Monday, July 28, 2003 5:38 PM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> ... And it isn't that nobody
> has longterm vision here, but when one of your goals is
> longterm stability, you have to keep making shortterm decisions
> which individually preserve that stability.

The goal of the Maginot Line was longterm stability.

You only HAVE to keep making such short-term decisions if longterm stability
is your ONLY goal. For some of us, there are other, competing goals. It's a
question of priorities, not right vs. wrong. That's why the community needs
to look at the impacts of the various options on all stakeholders.

Do I understand you correctly, Ken, that Sybase would rather have code
versions that behave consistently but incorrectly (from a user's point of
view) rather than inconsistent versions, the newer ones of which behave
correctly? I can accept that such could be a company's business priority,
but I just want to know if that's what you are saying.

Also, I don't understand in what sense the normalization *algorithm* gets
broken by changing combining classes. Could someone elaborate?

Ted

Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
ZigZag, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+1-301-990-7453

newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
   ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/