On 30/07/2003 03:56, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

But is ZWJ actually required within text, or only for display of joining forms in isolation? A simple example would be of interest.

Yes, it is used in normal text. But the only frequent use is after a single Heh, to make it appear in the initial form (which is by tradition used to distinguish Heh from a 5) rather than the isolated form which will appear if one doesn't add a ZWJ.

So in other words, there exists a joining form in isolation that is
frequent in normal text, and it is "initial Heh".

roozbeh

Thank you. Well, my first thought was that in that case, if the isolated heh form is never used, the glyph for it should be changed in the font for the form which is used. But I guess that would make the font unusable for Arabic and other languages. So I will stick to trying to sort out Hebrew, and leave Farsi etc to the real experts.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]