Peter Kirk wrote:

> This gets us
> back into the complex algorithm I looked at before, which can
> almost but
> not quite disambiguate these cases but may need more processing power
> than can be put into a font. Then there is Ted's point that
> we shouldn't
> assume that all words which anyone tries to render are
> regularly spelled
> Hebrew, some might be in other languages or have deliberate
> irregularities. I guess it is for reasons like that that we have
> separate final letter forms in Hebrew script, and in Arabic script
> mechanisms like ZWJ to force exceptions to the shaping rules. Well,
> let's not get into using ZWJ etc and instead define the additional
> characters which we need.

No, I think ZWJ may be exactly the way to go here.

<consonant, holam, (accent), ZWJ, alef/vav> for making a 'ligature'
(of sorts, in a technical sence) where the holam is displayed on the
alef or vav. Without the ZWJ, the holam would be displayed on the
<consonant> to which it logically belongs. (alef and vav are base
characters, so the ZWJ is not breaking any combining sequence here.)

                /kent k