On Tuesday, August 05, 2003 5:40 PM, Mark Davis wrote:
> Where did you get the notion that space is not a base character? And
> base characters include those that are not control or format
> characters. Space is neither one.

Well, I think Jim Allan pointed to the source of this notion in his email of
a few hours ago.

1) From the UCD:
0020;SPACE;Zs;...

2) From Unicode 3, Section 4.5, third paragraph (in its entirety):
"Zs, Zl, and Zp are considered format characters, but their membership in
the Z (separator) class takes precedence over their membership in the Cf
class, because General Category assigns only a single value to each
character."

I believe that reasonable people might reasonably conclude from factoids 1
and 2 that SPACE is indeed a format character.

Reasonable, but evidently wrong. Explanation, please?

Ted

Ted Hopp, Ph.D.
ZigZag, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+1-301-990-7453

newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
   ...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/