Peter Kirk scripsit:

> My preferred version of this is <holam, ZWNJ, vav>. This would not so
> much force the holam to attach anywhere as prevent it from forming holam
> male.

I have no objections, but the use of a format character rather than an
invisible combining character may create problems for font designers,
so I'll defer to John Hudson on this point.

> And exactly the same with <holam, alef> sequences.

Indeed.

--
"They tried to pierce your heart                John Cowan
with a Morgul-knife that remains in the         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan