On 16/08/2003 13:14, Doug Ewell wrote:

You could make a case for proposing numeric values of 10 through 15 to
be added to U+0044 through U+0049 and U+0064 through U+0069, based on
their undeniably widespread use as hexadecimal digits. (No, I don't
want to get into a debate about the word "digit" implying "ten.") But
the differences in the other categories are less convincing. Latin
letters are L& (strong LTR) while the digits are EN (weak LTR), but you
may have a difficult time finding a non-pathological context in which
European numerals are legitimately used RTL.

I wonder if this is a real, legitimate and non-pathological case where there might be a difference: hex digits embedded in Hebrew text, followed by a comma. In modern Hebrew numbers are written with European digits LTR embedded in RTL text, and a comma etc following the numeral should probably appear to the left of it. I would guess that Israeli programmers use hex digits LTR and sometimes embed them in Hebrew text. But a comma will probably come out to the right of the hex number if it looks like a Latin script word. Look at the following, which each consist of three Hebrew letters, space, hex digit, comma, space, three Hebrew letters. Well, the bidi algorithm messes them up on my screen, in Word 2002 and in Mozilla. But maybe someone can see the difference.

בצד 1, בצד

בצד A, בצד

But I am not suggesting that this problem is sufficiently serious to justify encoding a new set of hex digits.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)