From: John Cowan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 4:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Clones (was RE: Hexadecimal)

>       U+2212 (minus sign) - an obvious clone of U+002D (hyphen-minus). Who
> uses this?

The ASCII characters, because they have had to do double or triple
duty over the years when we had a very limited 7-bit character set,
often have several near-equivalents in Unicode that disambiguate their
*typographically* different purposes.  Thus hyphen, minus sign, en dash,
and em dash have separate Unicode representations, though in ASCII they
are often written -, -, -- or -, and --- or -- respectively.