Resending with the correct address...

On 19/08/2003 13:49, Carl W. Brown wrote:

Mark,

Yes, I am sick and tired of dealing with this horrible non-decimal measurement
system the US has for time: the number of units per other unit vary all across
the board: 60..61 : 1, 60 : 1, 24 : 1, 28..31 : 1, 12 : 1, 365..366 : 1 -- awful. At least with inches, feet, and miles, the number of feet per mile don't
vary depending on which mile one is talking about!

However, just try to sort out a set of drill bits. 11/64 etc.

I also have a hard time remembering that a Hundredweight c.w.t is 112 pounds. I am glad that it is not in common usage.

But working on a house with feet, inches and fractions drives me absolutely crazy. At least with clocks you are not doing tremendous amounts of math to do anything. The only time when clocks are a problem is when you are dealing with multiple time zones.

Carl

It drives me even more crazy when some of the things I need to work on
my house are in feet, some in yards, and some  in metres. I measure
things up in metres then find what I am buying supplied in feet, or vice
versa. Well, I think it's all supposed to be metric, but it isn't.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)