On 20/08/2003 06:45, Jon Hanna wrote:

... The next base to have that quality is base 256,
which would require us to ransack a few different alphabets and then maybe
create a few symbols in order for us to represent it.

No, we could just use Ethiopic. Plenty of characters there. We could even put some logic in the system e.g. by use the vowel parts of the glyphs to indicate the lower three bits. I'm sure most people would learn quickly. And if we used Ethiopic letters to define Unicode symbols it might stop some people complaining that Unicode isn't African enough. ;-)

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)