From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I wrote:
>
> > So this legacy encoding of end-of-lines is now quite obsolete
> > even on MacOS.
>
> I don't think it can be called "obsolete" as long as files generated using
> that line end convention exist.  Or, at least, applications that have an
> operation for  "read a line" will have to cope with it.  (In other words,
> all of the CR LF CRLF LFCR should mark an "end of line".)

I was not speaking about the actual encoding of files into bytes, but
only about the interpretation of '\n' or '\r' in C/C++, which was the real
subject of the message.

You are refering to the run-time behavior of I/O readers/writers for
files or network messages, and of course this is not obsolete, as the
plain/text MIME format, as well as RFC822 message format (also used
in the HTTP protocol) still use a CR+LF sequence for end-of-line
marks in headers (this is even mandatory for RFC-822 and HTTP
conformance).

I just wonder if more recent C/C++ compilers for MacOS still compile
a CR for the '\n' _source_ string or character constants.