On 28/10/2003 13:35, John Cowan wrote:

But Unicode specifications currently say nothing about the possibility of moving under-diacritics to an over-character position for typographical reasons except for combination of _g_ and cedilla.

Nothing needs to be said, because glyphs are not normative.

Yes, but presumably when I encode transliterated Hebrew in Unicode and the transliteration standard shows a glyph of a g with a line above it, it would be more correct for me to encode as g with macron above rather than g with macron below. Or should I go with the function and expect a special transliteration font to do what I need? Probably the people who should decide this are at SBL as they are the ones who specify this transliteration. So I am copying John Hudson - John you may need to look at the rest of the thread. (Does SBL have any plans for its own Hebrew transliteration font, or does it expect regular Latin-based fonts to support transliteration?)

-- Peter Kirk [EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work) http://www.qaya.org/