Philippe wrote...

> The Unicode English name of the "hacek" character is "caron" (U+030C)

Just for the record: Actually, in English, we still call it a hacek.
"Caron" is a term apparently invented in an ISO character encoding
committee, and is *NOT* in current use at all in  English. We call it a
hacek. Unicode inherited the name "caron" from ISO WG2 during the "merge"
with ISO 10646 in the early 1990s.

To my knowledge, nobody has been able to pin down the precise origin of
the word, but it occurs in early ISO character sets. Unicode (e.g. 1.0)
originally used the word hacek in all character names that now use "caron".

        Rick