At 10:26 AM 10/29/2003, Philippe Verdy wrote:

In the sil.org proposal, the medial meteg is missing, but not the right and
left meteg, as they are encoded within the same class and their order is
preserved when attached to a vowel.

It is not missing, per se. It was presumed that the medial meteg would be the default rendering for <hataf vowel, meteg>, and that this would be handled at the glyph processing level. SIL's intent was that ZWNJ would be used to inhibit ligation and force a left meteg. This has a couple of problems: a) ZWNJ is apparently not intended to be used between combining marks, and b) the target apps for much of the development in this area (MS Office) treat ZWNJ between combining marks as an illegal sequence for Hebrew (but not ZWJ). This is why I opted for <hataf vowel, ZWJ, meteg> for the medial meteg.

When I say opted, I mean that is what I've done for the first release of the SBL Hebrew font. I'm more than aware that there are several live issues in Hebrew text encoding, and that the font and documents made with it may need to be updated as these issues are resolved. We just couldn't delay shipping any longer.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I sometimes think that good readers are as singular,
and as awesome, as great authors themselves.
                                      - JL Borges