Adults can say no (as indeed can non-adults), but consenting adults are, by definition, adults who say yes. If they say no, they are not consenting. Consenting, by definition, means saying yes.

James's statement ("any application which restricts PUA use is effectively precluding consenting adults from reaching and implementing their private agreements") is correct. If you choose to redefine the word "consenting" to mean "one who consents to using an application which restricts the PUA" then I would argue that's just a silly redefinition. A bit like defining a non-brothel as a place where consenting adults can choose not to pay each other for sex. It's not what most of us mean by "consenting". I argue that James is correct, by any reasonable definition.

Jill