Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> For one thing, most of them seemed to think "i"
>> as in "ice" is a single vowel, and "ch" as in
>> "church" is a single consonant, and I happened
>> to disagree.
>
> For the latter, compare "catch it" with "cat shzt"

Yep.  How do we distinguish the first case, where many think of it as a
single "affricative" consonant, from the second?  The "t" and "sh" in
the second case are longer and more aspirated, distinctions which I
didn't make in my alphabet.  But IPA, which would be more likely to
reach to this level of precision, doesn't necessarily make the
distinction either: /ËkÃtÊÉt/ unless U+0361 is used.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/