Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that there's a significant improvement when only
> checking for noramlization but not perfomring it. It requires at least
> a list of the characters are acceptable in a normalization form, and
> as well their combining classes.

UAX #15 begs to differ.  See Annex 8, "Detecting Normalization Forms":

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/#Annex8

In particular, the list of characters and derived properties, while
large, is *much* smaller than the complete UCD.

I have not tested this, and don't currently plan to.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/