On
> Behalf Of Patrick Andries

> Is there any plan for Microsoft to support Unicode 4.0, distribute
with
> its
> operating system the corresponding fonts and update the corresponding
> Character Map tools/charts (Office and OS) ?

Of course, there is a certain vagueness to the question surrounding the
issue of what it means to say "product X supports Unicode 4.0."

However you understand it, we are making steady progress in that
direction, in that we are continuing to broaden support in all kinds of
services the OS provides. Note that that might mean that we'll provide
underlying support for a particular script if fonts and input methods
are supplied from somewhere else.

I don't know when Character Map will be updated. What happens in Office
- e.g. Insert|Symbol - someone else would have to answer, though I think
that the Insert|Symbol dialog follows what's in the selected font for
the characters it shows and for the scripts it lists as subsets
(following the Unicode bitfield in the OS/2 table -- I'd need to do some
testing to be sure).

Peter Constable