Peter Jacobi <peter underscore jacobi at gmx dot net> wrote:

> Some tests: In Mozilla 1.4.1 the characters fall apart and in IE5.5
> the style expands to the entire orthographic syllable.
> Unicode test page: http://www.jodelpeter.de/i18n/tamil/markup-uc.htm
> TSCII test page: http://www.jodelpeter.de/i18n/tamil/markup-tscii.htm

BTW, your "Unicode test page" is marked:

 content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

while your TSCII test page is marked "x-user-defined".  I'm not sure
what either of those declarations accomplishes.

> After seeing this effect at its source, it's now clear why you can't
> style individual Tamil characters in a word processor, when using
> Unicode (whereas you can do so, in legacy encodings).

This is browser behavior, not word processor behavior, and certainly not
an inherent defect in the Unicode logical-order model.  Display engines
need to do a better job of applying style to individual reordrant
glyphs, that's all.

> It's hard to promote Unicode, when things that have worked in the
> past, stop working.

This is alarmist and unnecessary.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California