Hello Philippe,

2003-12-14T16:56:10Z Philippe Verdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Snip...

> I find nothnig wrong in proposing a font which does not have these symbols
> for use in European scripts, where the occurence of the symbol is almost
> always associated to the Nazi's party, but I think it would be wrong to
> remove them from fonts designed for Asian markets that need it to represent
> their script, in a context where such association is not self-evident.

AFAIK the use of the symbol is forbidden in the names/logos
of organizations in Russia. It, unsurprisingly, was present here before,
e.g., it was printed on the Russian money in 1917 or so.

...snip...

> However there's still a problem with the ancient scandinavian usage:

I guess it is more appropriate to speak about the ancient Babylonian
or rather ancient Russian (Boreal) use. See, for instance, [1].

> it's
> not clear that the symbol would only fit in Asian fonts. However the symbols
> could be present in fonts made to represent old European scripts such as
> Runic, even if they have been used in translations to Roman-Latin or
> Church-Latin of these texts, with a Latin or Gothic script, or even in some
> other Uralic languages.

Regards,
Alexander.
--