On 16/12/2003 14:59, Kent Karlsson wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

If the Swedish registry allows all the letters used in Swedish and Sami, and far eastern registries allow Chinese characters, the Turkish and Azerbaijani registries should allow, and be allowed to allow, all the letters of the alphabets of their national languages.

Note that à (sharp s) casefolds to ss, and Å (long s) casefolds to s. So "straÃe", "straÅse", and "strasse" also both map to the same ("strasse") subname.

The difference here is that Germans recognise ss and sharp s as variant spellings in the same words, whereas in Turkish i and dotless i are quite different letters, just as in Swedish, Turkish and German o and o umlaut are quite different letters. I know Germans tolerate o umlaut written as oe, but I don't think Turks do. But surely the whole point of getting away from ASCII-only domain names is to respect national and language-specific alphabets. What is needed for Germany and Sweden should not be denied to Turkey.

-- Peter Kirk [EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work) http://www.qaya.org/