From: "Stefan Persson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> In old Swedish the diÃresis above y was displayed as two dots in
> Fraktur.  "Ã" was at that point used in the same way as "ij", which was
> often used for a long "i".  The spelling was free, and you could decide
> yourself if you wanted to write "ij" or "Ã" in a particular word.  The
> diÃresis above any letter in Antiqua was generally written as two dots.
>
> In old Swedish loan words and many names were written in Antiqua, while
> the rest was written in Fraktur.  Thus one should not expect characters
> not used in normal Swedish words in Fraktur.
>
> Thus, U+0364 was equivalent to U+0308 when U+0308 was representing an
> umlaut, but not when U+0308 was representing a diÃresis because U+0308
> had two contextually different display forms.

Interesting, I am still wondering if there is a justification for the
rounded
"e"-shaped form for U+0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E,
if every occurence I can find always displays a diaeresis or a form
near from it (such as in Gothik, Fraktur, SÃtterlin...) with two tiny
strokes
or dots.

I note that some handwritten forms of a base letter "e" sometimes look like
yiddish double vav, with the second vav with a shorter leg, above the
baseline,
sometimes joined with the first one in a ligature. This looks like an
intermediary form between the modern rounded "e" and the SÃtterlin glyph.