At 07:39 AM 12/29/2003, Michael Everson wrote:

I also think that your attitude is that of a Hellenist or Indo-Europeanist, who looks at everything from the perspective of Athens.

Think what you like.

Semitics is "Praeparatio Hellenika"--its other aspects are less important, and
hence not to be emphasized in computerization or anything else.

I cannot make sense of this at all.

Not all roads lead to Athens, Michael Everson--some of them go elsewhere

What the bejeesus are you on about, Elaine?

Without needing to accuse Michael of being a Hellenist to the detriment of Semitic scripts, I think Elaine raises a potentially valid point about the many books to which he refers. I too have read many texts that trace the alphabet to the Phoenicians and stop there, because that is the limit of the author's knowledge and interest (a knowledge and interest defined by other books which repeat the same information).

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What was venerated as style  was nothing more than
an imperfection or flaw that revealed the guilty hand.
               - Orhan Pamuk, _My name is red_