On 05/01/2004 15:47, Peter Kirk wrote:

On 05/01/2004 15:29, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

Somebody probably needs to go to Baku to dig out actual printed
materials from the 20's and 30's to make an assessment of actual
usage.

I did have a dictionary in this orthography, from about 1929, but unfortunately I left it in Baku. I expect to visit again in May. If I have time I will search out materials in the old Latin script, which sometimes appear in second hand book stalls.

I found the attached, from the Summer 1997 issue of Azerbaijan International magazine, which clearly shows the "soft sign".

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)