On 13/01/2004 15:59, Philippe Verdy wrote:

From: "Peter Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Is this actually true? Other characters can be entered into an
ISO-8859-1 form in the format "&#nnn;"; or at least Mozilla 1.5 uses
this format. I suspect this is what happened to me recently when I typed
a schwa into a message in the webmail interface of a Yahoo group, and
this appeared in my mail received from the group as "&#601;" - because
the message source contained "&amp;#601;". The problem seems to be that
the process reading the form data was not expecting this format and so
took the & as a literal rather than as an escape.

It's true that you can pre-feed the form data within your HTML page encoded with ISO-8859-1 using numeric character entities to specify non-ISO-8859-1 characters. If you try to submit it with a form specifying that it should be encoded with ISO-8859-1, the browser may not notice that this pre-feeded data (which still appeared correct in the rendered form) was bogous and normally impossible to encode with ISO-8859-1.

Just to clarify: the data I was entering was not bogus, but was exactly what I wanted to enter and was legal content for the e-mail which I wanted to send to the list. The error was at Yahoo, or possibly in my browser, in not supporting the characters which I wanted to use. I was not informed of any restriction or problem.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)