Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

If it's a heuristic we're after, then why split hairs and try to make all the rules ourselves? Get a big ol' mess of training data in as many languages as you can and hand it over to a class full of CS graduate students studying Machine Learning.

Absolutely my reaction. All of these suggested heuristics are great, but would almost certainly simply fall out of a more rigorous approach using a generative probabilistic model, or some other classification technique. Useful features would include n-graphs frequencies, as Mark suggests, as well as lots of other things. For particular applications, you could use a cache model, e.g., using statistics from other documents from the same web site, or other messages from the same email address, or even generalizing across country-of-origin. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that you could get some mileage out of unsupervised data, that is, all of the documents in the training set needn't be labeled with language/encoding. And one thing we have a lot of on the web is unsupervised data.

I would be extremely surprised if such an approach couldn't achieve 99% accuracy - and I really do mean 99%, or better.

By the way, I still don't quite understand what's special about Thai. Could someone elaborate?

- John Burger
  MITRE