.
Dean Snyder wrote,

> SOMEONE at SOMETIME must have thought that free variation selectors were
> a good idea for Mongolian in Unicode. If the thinking has changed on this
> since then, I would love to hear about why it has changed. Is Mongolian
> functioning well in Unicode or not? If not, what specifically in it is
> broken, or is at least sub-optimal? And what are suggested solutions for
> fixing Mongolian in Unicode if it is indeed problematic?

Andrew C. West offers test pages for both Mongolian and Manchu.

These pages have some of the technical background that you seek
concerning variation selectors and Mongolian, as well as explore
many issues concerning Unicode Mongolian.

There is some good information about Variation Selectors on the
Mongolian page under the heading
"Mongolian Free Variaton Selectors".
(Hello Andrew, ...Typo alert!)

http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357/Test/Mongolian.html

Unicode for Mongolian is working perfectly on many platforms,
(smile) but only if we're discussing Cyrillic script.

Best regards,

James Kass
.