At 16:20 -0500 2004-02-07, Laurentiu Iancu wrote:
Greetings,

I noticed that a new combining character, U+1DC2 Combining Snake Below, has
been added.  Just out of curiosity, what were the reasons why this character
was allocated at this code point rather than, for instance, U+0358, the last
free position in the Combining Diacritical Marks block.  Is it maybe based on
character frequency?  Learning about allocation criteria helps me better
understand the structure of Unicode.

That kind of "structure" is meaningless. People just forgot that space was open. For something like this, it really doesn't matter.
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com