On 09/02/2004 14:37, Peter Constable wrote:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Behalf

Of Peter Kirk

The UTC decided to allow ZWJ/ZWNJ to occur in combining character
sequences.

Thank you. So I can do what I was wanting to do (Hebrew meteg

combining

sequences) with a clear conscience!

Well, perhaps there is a step that's needed to propose representations for the alternate positions of meteg, one of these making use of ZWJ or ZWNJ (whichever) and to get UTC to approve that so that it's formally a part of the standard and, hence, an interoperable representation.

I was always a bit confused about this aspect. I understand that there is a bit more to using ZWJ/ZWNJ in this way than a private decision; but it is one which has already been proposed and implemented by several font providers. But I was told a few months ago in effect that Unicode doesn't specify such things because they are the spelling conventions for individual languages. Where is the boundary between an "interoperable representation" to be agreed by the UTC and a spelling convention to be left to individuals?

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)