Title: RE: in the NEW YORK TIMES today, report of a USA patent for a method to make the Arabic language easier to read/write/typeset

        Really?  That conflicts with my understanding, which is:

        When writing Chinese, there are certain stroke elements which, when written in the more flowing script of everyday usage (grass script et al.), closely resemble other stroke elements which use less strokes to write.  These stroke reduced elements are substituted for the original elements.  Also, there are certain "paired" character elements, such that one may be substituted for the other, and the quicker-to-write stroke reduced element gets substituted.  I do not really understand these substitutions, but it is my understanding that they are intuitive to literate Chinese.  These two "simplification" methods were formalized and standardized to become Simplified Chinese.

        Am I getting this wrong?  I don't see the connection between organic change in a script and singular revolutionary change.

/|/|ike