On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:09:11 +0000, "Michael Everson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> At 14:49 +0100 2004-03-24, Chris Jacobs wrote:
> >  > It seems strangely inconsistent to me that Unicode has detailed controls
> >>  for horizontal layout direction and the complex bidi algorithm, but has
> >>  nothing for vertical layout. I can force Latin text to be rendered right
> >>  to left or Hebrew left to right (although such overrides are hardly
> >>  plain text issues), but there is no way I can select vertical layout
> >>  even for languages in which that is a normal way of writing. We already
> >>  have U+202A LEFT-TO-RIGHT EMBEDDING and U+202B RIGHT-TO-LEFT EMBEDDING.
> >>  It would be easy to define new characters TOP-TO-BOTTOM EMBEDDING and
> >>  BOTTOM-TO-TOP EMBEDDING, with similar scope until the next PDF
> >>  character.
> >
> >Which scripts are written bottom to top in vertical layout?
>
> Ogham and sometimes Tifinagh.

<worthless trivia>

Also Numidian (if you count it seperate from Tifinagh), and various
scripts from the Philippines: Tagalog (and its relatives) and Mangyan.
The surviving Mangyan users seem to write it left to right when using
paper, though.

<end of worthless trivia>

--
  Benjamin Peterson