Title: RE: Fixed Width Spaces (was: Printing and Displaying DependentVowels)

        Another example is the dreaded "shifted space" of the Commodore 64.  If you happened to have the shift key down when you hit the space bar, you generated a different character that printed as space, but didn't match space.  So if there was a shifted space in a filename, the file was inaccessible until you tried shifting the spaces.

> I'm sure they existed, but I can't remember anything sophisticated
> enough to be called a "line breaking algorithm" in the ZX8*
> environment.

        I know that runoff and word processors were common in CP/M environments (I had a Commodore 128, so I got three different machines to play with - lucky me!), and those had pretty sophisticated line breaking.  I don't recall anything for the 64, so the ZX8* probably didn't have much, if anything, either.

/|/|ike