On 05/04/2004 13:47, Michael Everson wrote:

At 13:35 -0700 2004-04-05, Peter Kirk wrote:

The implication here is that plain text Unicode would be used for legal documents. Given that my lawyer would send me emails in highly marked up format, I find this very difficult to grasp. Is there any evidence that plain text is even being considered for use in legal documents?

Evidence attached - one of many such legal texts on my computer, nearly all plain text only.

You are chasing a chimera, Peter.

Yes, in the dictionary sense "A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication." That is a very good description of Mike's nonsencical statements that all legal texts are necessarily highly marked up. For once I can endorse Philippe's clear explanation of the situation.

Now I agree that modern lawyers are likely to send out nicely formatted e-mails. At least they need to seem to justify their exorbitant fees by flashy presentation. But the formatting is just formatting and has absolutely no legal significance.

By the way, I am not trying to make any argument here about fixed width spaces, just trying to correct a factual error in Mike's posting.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)