Michael Everson wrote:

This would make the mid-dot too high. The top dot of the colon usually sits toward the top of the x-height; the *mid*-dot should sit lower, optically midway up the x-height (which means slightly higher than the actual halfway mark). The top dot of a colon is typically closer to the height of the Greek ano teleia, which aligns with the x-height (and which should align with the cap height in all-cap settings, and with the small-cap height in smallcap settings).

John, I just don't believe you. I don't believe that in all the history of Greek and Catalan typography this careful hairsplitting has *always* taken place; certainly in scientific transcription the HALF TRIANGULAR COLON is just the top dot in the TRIANGULAR COLON, and in Americanist transcription where the dot-colons are used instead of triangles I would say the same applies.

I never contested that the dots of a colon correspond to the triangles of the linguistic long vowel marker. They clearly do. What I contested was that the typographic mid-point (U+00B7) corresponded to the top dot of a colon. It clearly does not. It is called a mid-point because it sits midway up the x-height. It is used in this position for a variety of stylistic purposes, e.g. in place of hyphens in phone numbers in stationery, which is why most type designers put it at this height. I can assure you that the vast majority of type designers don't even know that Catalan uses a dot, let alone that it might use this dot.

The obvious solution to present usage is language system typographic tagging, in which a distinction can be made in the size, height and spacing of the dot for Catalan and non-Catalan use.

'Careful hairsplitting' always takes place when people care about typography.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often play against man, God says, but it is he who wants
  to lose, the idiot, and it is I who want him to win.
And I succeed sometimes
In making him win.
             - Charles Peguy