Tom Emerson wrote:
Philippe Verdy writes:

Symbolic links is a bad idea on FTP. They are resolved by the client...

Really? Depends on your server: proftpd handles them fine.

I think it would also give the false feeling that a new 4.01 file
exist when in fact it's the same as 4.00.

No, the filename of the link would match that of the file in the 4.00
directory. The link only provides you with a way to access the
datafile. I would not recommend renaming the link to 4.01 if it didn't change.

I better suggest listing files with a simple parsable fiel which
lists all files that are part of a Unicode version, with their
respective version.

The problem here is that you cannot easily grab all the files for a
given release without first downloading that file and parsing the
information out and constructing pathnames.

It would not be difficult to write script which automatically downloads the required files (using wget) for a given unicode version if there was such a file as suggested by Philipppe.

Theo