On 07/05/2004 15:59, Michael Everson wrote:

At 17:10 -0400 2004-05-07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This would only be the *default* rules. Unicode-savvy sort programs can
accept "tailorings" that make the rules different, like the Swedish tailoring
that makes a-ring, a-umlaut, and o-umlaut sort after z instead of in their
default places with a and o.

As I said, they would be the *tailored* rules. Mixing scripts would go against the current practice of ISO/IEC 14651.

Well, we are not talking about ISO/IEC 14651 but about Unicode. Is there any really good reason not to mix two scripts, which are according to many people actually variants of one script but which are (if your proposal is accepted) seperately encoded for the convenience of some scholars? This sounds to me like the kind of rule which is made to be broken. If all the 22 CSWA scripts are collated together by default, this would significantly reduce the objections to encoding them as separate scripts. We can perhaps consider them as a family of congruent scripts. Of course we might then think that there are other such families, e.g. the different Indic scripts, but how to collate them should depend on Indian etc custom.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)