Peter Constable wrote:

In addition, traditional Chinese zither notation (qin pu) is also laid

out in

ideographic-like square blocks. However, as this is a notational

system rather

than a script, the constituent elements of each block represent

string, finger

and plucking technique rather than phonetic values.

I was already after the first paragraph going to mention another writing system, and I'm even more strongly reminded of it by this second paragraph: Sign Writing, a writing system used for writing signed languages, first developed for transcription, though a number of language communities have started using it orthographically. In sign writing, the representation for a typical sign (I think I've heard that syllable might be applicable here) consists of an iconic representation of the head with various satellite symbols mostly representing the hands and hand movement, the whole being organized into a square space. It's even written vertically (at least by some user communities).

And there's also Visible Speech, by Alexander Melville Bell (and improved by Henry Sweet), which is definitely an alphabet (a phonetic one), but also very decidedly featural: different shapes represent different articulators or features.

And tengwar is featural, at least in some modes (doubled bow=voicing, raised stem=fricative, etc). And Herman Miller has a phonetic alphabet called Lhoerr (I think) which is also based on having each piece of a symbol represent some feature of the phone(me).

~mark