On 03/05/2004 15:33, Simon Montagu wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

On 02/05/2004 05:27, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Quoting from the "jewfaq" page,

"The example of pointed text above uses Snuit's Web Hebrew AD font. These Hebrew fonts map to ASCII 224-250, high ASCII characters which are not normally available on the keyboard, but this is the mapping that most Hebrew websites use. I'm not sure how you use those characters on a Mac. In Windows, you can go to ..."

Is this the same as ISO 8859-8 visual encoding?

Codepoint for codepoint, yes, but IIRC the "Web Hebrew" fonts only worked on sites that were declared (or assumed by default) to be in ISO-8859-1 encoding.

But presumably if the same sites were declared as ISO-8859-8 visual they
would be readable with standard Unicode Hebrew fonts, in browsers which
perform the correct mappings? Well, now if I find an unreadable page
which is supposed to be Hebrew, I know which encoding to select manually.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)