On May 5, 2004, at 12:59 AM, R.C. Bakhuizen van den Brink [Rein] wrote:

How well does Mac/Apple software [I'm not talking about the 'X'
op.sys] support Unicode?

Not as well as we would like, although the potential is there through ATSUI and MLTE. I should point out, however, that the probability of getting the pre-X versions of the Mac OS to support new 8-bit character sets is exactly 0.

I repeat: Support for a new 8-bit standard isn't free. Software and operating systems need to be revised to do it, and you're you're far more likely to find the software and OS you use revised to use Unicode than you are to find it revised to use a new 8-bit standard.

========
John H. Jenkins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]