> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf

> Of Dean Snyder

> Archaic Greek exhibits variable glyph stance, that is, glyphs can be

> flipped horizontally or even vertically, usually dependent upon the

> direction of the writing stream.

> How should variable glyph stance for the same characters in the same

> script be dealt with in Unicode and in a Unicode proposal?

If you’re talking about what happens in boustrophedon text,

versus

then I’d treat it as a presentation issue, not an encoding issue. IMO, it would be a serious problem if you have to encode an alpha using a distinct character just because it happened to come (with a given text size and page metrics) on the RTL run of boustrophedon layout rather than a LTR run. At the *very most*, you might propose control characters that can be used to distinguish whether characters in a given run of text should be rotated or mirrored if part of a RTL line, but even there I would be inclined to leave that to higher-level processing and protocols.

If you’re talking about variations among archaic documents in how particular letters are written, apart from line direction issues, e.g.

versus

then you might have a case for proposing variation-selector sequences.

Peter

Peter Constable

Microsoft Windows Division

<<image005.jpg>>