At 11:06 PM 5/25/2004, Doug Ewell wrote:
But then Dean responded:

> So, you are saying there are glyph streams in German Fraktur that
> fluent, native Germans would have trouble reading.

I consider myself moderately native, definitely of German origin, and arguably somewhat fluent in reading Fraktur...

I can state that even after reading dozens of books I still need to
take a closer look sometimes to see if I was reading a k, r or x,
and that's for lower case. The uppercase letters, esp the ones that
don't occur with really high frequencies, I can often only decode
from context -- reading performance improving with length of exposure
to a given text, as usual.

Difficulties in reading a script may explain why it has been abandoned
but they don't argue for or against encoding it. Otherwise, my handwriting,
set to type would be a shoo-in. ;-)

A./