The Arabic data in question is for place names in a
mapping product.  So far, we have only received one
complaint and it was a missed two element ligature from
Arabic Presentation Forms B.  Does this mean that
the ligatures in Arabic Presentation Forms A do not
apply to place names?  Or did I just luck out?

The Presentation forms are (with very few exceptions) simply ballast. There are some ligatures that do occur as single code point in some codesets, usually in places where the language is not Arabic, but ligatures of special Arabic words are needed (and used almost like symbols).

In other words, nobody has attempted to verify the
contents of these blocks and you are on your own.

A./