Elaine Keown
         Tucson

Dear Patrick Andries and list:

> >Arabic written in Syriac (by Syriac
Christians).....
> Well, the keyword « Garshuni » may help here.

Aha!--thank you.  Is there much Garshuni material,
some especially notable?

I understand that Aramaic (= Syriac in this case) is
also written in Arabic....is there a word for that?
I still have no reference for that script variant...

Patrick Andries wrote:
> Do you have any letters in mind ?  Some such letters
> could very well be missing

I did have a short list of such Tifinagh characters--6
or fewer----from 3 years ago.....but the U.S. Post
Office lost two of my boxes this spring, and the
Arabic- etc notes were in the box that's still
heaven-knows-where.  Kamal Mansour had a copy of my
Arabic-script bibliography, but I am not sure that the
Tifinagh material was on that.....

I've been in too many libraries to be able to tell you
if I found 'Extended Tifinagh' in Stanford's Green
Library, at UnivCalif Richmond Depository, or at U
Wisconsin-Madison....

But Tifinagh is actually a really important
script---it's used to write many major dialects,
though maybe more by women....and it's caseless, so
the collation string can have the variants inserted in
the regular string of letters....

Elaine