There has been extensive discussion in this thread on the specifics of accent and diacritic folding. But no one has answered my point, repeated below, that there seems to be a conflict between the folding algorithm (rather than the details of specific foldings) and the principle of canonical equivalence. Specifically, it seems to breach the principle in Unicode Conformance Clause C9:

Ideally, an implementation would always interpret two canonical-equivalent character
sequences identically. There are practical circumstances under which implementations
may reasonably distinguish them.

Are the authors of UTR #30 claiming that folding is one of those practical circumstances, or is this just an oversight?

Peter Kirk